[mythtv-users] picking a new CPU

Henrik Beckman henrik.list at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 09:32:13 UTC 2008

Hi,
I´m become CPU limited on my combined back/frontend, with 0.21 I´ve switched
from linear to yadif deinterlacing.
Yadif 2x is to much

This is what I have,
2,6Ghz P4 with HT.
2GB RAM
HDD0 250GB for system and mythvideo
HDD1 500GB for mythtv
Nova-t 500
PVR-150
6200 graphics

I have a 3,2+ AMD and a Nforce motherboard, 6600GT, but I´m unsure if it has
enough CPU to handle what I want.
I want to be able to run Yadif 2x for SD TV and _preferably_ also for HD, HD
is 720p but bandwith is similiar to 1080p.
Also I want CPU left to handle comskipping and recording two shows while
watching, with a bit of overhead so I can
take advantage of faster disks in the future.

So should I,
1)Keep running my P4 and wait for things to settle down and prices to drop.
2)Switch (back) to my AMD 64 system.
3)Buy a 8400, memory and motherboard.
4)Buy a Q9300, memory and motherboard.

My case is an antec fusion but I don´t think that I will be satisfied with 2
disks forever.

/Henrik