[mythtv-users] 0.21 and database corruption/how to rebuild and update from backup

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Tue Mar 18 05:27:30 UTC 2008

I would just like to thank Michael Dean, Bruce Markey and Brad
Dermanouelian for their excellent replies to my questions earlier today in
regard to "lost" tuner cards (setting up a key-binding to "next card"
worked well; I will also play around with the OSD menu when I have time)
and my corrupted channel database.

As far as the database fix - there was a backup created during the update,
and since I hadn't made any new recordings since then, I simply dropped
the new database, restored from the backup, and then deleted/re-added all
of the capture cards, associated the (now restored) channel lineups, and
everything was now copacetic.  This was quite painless.  Thanks again,
guys.

One minor concern...I was watching "live" TV on the firewire when a new
recording started using the S-video feed from the STB - this required a
channel change on the STB.  The backend segfaulted, and I had to restart
it manually.  Hopefully that won't happen again.  I'm wondering if maybe I
should write a little script (if there isn't one already out there) to
check every so often whethere the backend is running, and if not, restart
it...?  Maybe I'll have to look into the "new" input group feature - those
two are the only inputs requiring the STB.

I'm still having issues with /dev/lcdX for my VFD display (with X being
inconsistent from bootup to bootup), the firewire node often being
different between boots also, and setting up a remote (which I had issues
with in 0.20.2 also).  But hey, so far, now that I have a working database
and I have all the functionality I had before (and more, with the new
version) - I'm happy.  Thanks to all the devs for your hard work, and to
this community for your support.

Bob