[mythtv-users] Playback Profiles? WTF?!

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 14:48:13 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Jonny B <jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com>
wrote:

>  On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 5:51 AM, Marc Sherman <msherman at projectile.ca>
> wrote:
>
> > Todd Ignasiak wrote:
> > >
> > > I agree.   This change seems to be representative of MythTV in
> > > general.   On one hand, it's great.. you have the flexibility to do
> > > whatever you want.   On the other hand,  why the hell should I have to
> > > figure out the intricacies of the various settings, decipher the
> > > acronyms, and determine which ones actually apply to my system, to get
> > > the basic functionality working.      If there was some basic
> > > documentation, it might be more reasonable.  But, as it is now, it's
> > > very difficult to figure it out.
> > >
> > > Some basic improvements:
> > > - Anything this complex NEEDS to be well documented.
> >
> > Wow, you sound like you are very unhappy with the product you received.
> > I suggest that you ask your vendor for a full refund of the purchase
> > price.
> >
> > - Marc
>

> And that response was really helpful to the benefit of the list. I didn't
> take it as complaining so much as stating a fact. Myth is incredibly
> complex. That's EXCELLENT, but it can also be a bit of a problem. And, he's
> right, it does NEED documentation. I don't think he was implying anything
> else.
>
> I would suppose the community at large (those in the know) should write
> it. The wiki is a great place to go for hardware configuration, and getting
> things 'working' usually.... but there's hardly any actual usage docs.
> Nothing to explain the intricacies of that which is mythtv. *shrugs* but I
> haven't contributed any docs either, so I don't complain, generally I can
> stumble through and *most* of the options make sense to me, and if not, my
> google-fu is strong, so I usually survive.

Well, I think this http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User_Manual:Index is
more than hardly any usage docs, but the point is still valid because it has
not been updated yet for 0.21.  Of course, being a wiki, it would be most
beneficial if it was updated and often the best people to update it are
those that have it working.  Users (and not pointing figers here) most often
complain about being unable to contribute to the product, but end user
documentation of working systems is a great place to pitch in if you aren't
the type of person able to code.

Kevin