[mythtv-users] splashy + nvidia + framebuffer

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Mar 17 13:13:03 UTC 2008

Ronald Frazier wrote:

> Have you tried any other video modes than just 791? Here are some
> different modes:
>
> resolution = 8bit / 15bit / 16bit / 24bit
> 640x480 = 769 / 784 / 785 / 786
> 800x600 = 771 / 787 / 788 / 789
> 1024x768 = 773 / 790 / 791 / 792
> 1280x1024 = 775 / 793 / 794 / 795
>
> You don't have to use the same resolution or bit depth for booting as
> you do for X.

I've tried several.  The problem is that the /dev/fb? device[s] aren't
being created at all, so there's nothing to set the mode for.

> It must be very specific to your video card, because I just used a
> basic debian testing install. The only boot options I added were
> "vga=792 splash"
>

> What is the source of your debian install? Is it possible you got a
> nightly build that had some problems?....Actually, I see you mentioned
> building the kernel. Have you tried it with a default kernel? If not,
> give it a try. Maybe you missed something in your rebuild.

I'm running debian lenny.  I've had the same behavior with the stock
debian 2.6.22 kernel and my own 2.6.24 kernel.

I'm beginning to suspect that my hardware doesn't support framebuffer
and/or vesa, although I've never heard of such a thing.  I suppose it's
possible.  One more thing the manufacturers can leave off to save a few
pennies.

--Yan