[mythtv-users] Firewire to SA6250HD Problems

William Munson william_munson at comcast.net
Mon Mar 17 00:23:04 UTC 2008

Norm wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm running 16468 svn on Mythbuntu.  I've connected my firewire to an
> SA6250HD.  Initially I could only change channels on the STB but I then
> booted into Windows, installed all the drivers and VLC/hdVHS and both
> worked.
>
> After being in Windows, I can reboot into Linux and suddenly everything
> is working.  firewire_tester shows consistent good tests, MythTV works
> fine.  Everything works fine until I hit a channel I can't watch over
> firewire - either I'm not subscribed to it, or it doesn't work over
> firewire (perhaps a 5c issue, not sure).  The channels I can't view are
> odd ones - like locals < 13 and even The Weather Network.  Then,
> firewire stops working in Linux again until I go into windows, re-plug
> the firewire and start up VLC.  Sometimes just starting up VLC works
> too.
>
> I've tried powering everything down, etc., but no luck.  It must be
> doing something in Windows that I can't do in Linux in relation to
> resetting the firewire.  I've tried the sa3250_primer script, etc., and
> none of those seem to work for me.
>
> Anyone have these types of problems before and is there a fix someplace?
> I'm fairly new to firewire but not Linux and Mythtv.
>
> When this solution works, it works great -- HD works amazing, channels
> change quickly, etc.  I am using Rogers in Ottawa with an SA6250HD.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Norm

What happens in my case is that the STB changes nodes when you try to
tune a protected channel and for some reason linux firewire stack does
not catch the change. What has worked for me as a fix is to stabilize
the connection as part of a call to a external channel change program. I
posted the script in a message earlier today so do a search for my name
if you want the details.

Bill