[mythtv-users] Problems with FireWire recording

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun Mar 16 22:30:49 UTC 2008

Jason wrote:
>>> Occasionally, my firewire connection to the DCH-3200 goes nuts and
>>> needs to be reset.  I'm OK with that,
>> You shouldn't be.
>
>   You're right, but until software isn't written by people and bugs don't
>   happen, I'll accept living with problems.  :)

I meant that this specific problem has been fixed so you don't
have to accept your suffering. My firewire recordings are as
reliable as analog recordings.

>   investigate whether this fix has been backported into the latest CentOS

You're over thinking it.  >= 2.6.23 good. < 2.6.23 no good.
I can assure you that there was a bug and it was fixed. Search
the archives for "Firewire Issues" when the patch went into the
release. My memory failed me. the fix was in the first release
of 2.6.23.

>> There were tons of scripts and procedures to try to deal with
>> the problem. Here's one that would work as well as any other:
>> Get up and go to the next room, scratch your ass, come back and
>> sit down, use firewire_tester with -R then try again and hope
>> it doesn't fail.
>
>   I had been using such scripts with the 0.20.2.  I didn't use the scripts
>   because I'd seen a lot of list traffic that 0.21 would make it all better
>   and not require such things.  Obviously, that was wrong.

Everyone, including myself, was convinced that their rain dance
fixed the problem. However, it was a kernel bug. Note that in
recent months you don't see as many kill this, unload that, restart
the other thing, check the wind direction, reboot, unplug the
cable for 7sec., reboot into another O/S. unplug the cable box...

--  bjm