[mythtv-users] Packaging common SVN revisions for multiple distros (was Re: Syncing Minimyth with a backend)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 16 18:19:45 UTC 2008

On 03/16/2008 12:46 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> I should have added to my OP: Since the Minimyth distribution does not contain
> back end code, and Mike Dean says all systems should be built from identical
> code, this makes connecting any Minimyth box to any back end quite awkward.

As Myth now has many more safeguards to prevent users from running
incompatible components together, users who wish to use packages from
various distributions may find it increasingly difficult to find
compatible packages.  (Or, in truth, they may find it more obvious that
there exist incompatibilities that they may not have even known existed
in previous versions of Myth.)

Therefore, I have a question for the packagers.  Since I know nothing of
the packaging process and since I'm not really in a position to help
with this plan (as I'm not a package user), feel free to ignore my
suggestion if it doesn't make sense or if it causes more work for the
packagers.

I was wondering whether packaging would be more difficult if someone :)
were to maintain a list of "recommended revisions for packaging," which
could be used by packagers from various distributions to choose an SVN
revision to package.  This someone would be a volunteer who, ideally,
follows the -commits and/or -dev lists or who--if nothing else--hangs
out enough in IRC to be notified of "important" changes that may warrant
a new package.

The list would be a list of 0.21-fixes and/or trunk SVN revisions from
which packagers could choose when building a new package.  Ideally,
there would enough revisions chosen for the list to allow packagers to
provide updates as frequently as desired, but not so many that the list
is irrelevant.  Packagers wouldn't need to create a package for each
revision on the list, but by choosing a revision from the list,
packagers would make it much easier for users to find /known/ compatible
revisions (=same revision) even when using multiple distributions.

If, for example (all made up numbers, no offense intended), Ubuntu and
ATrpms want to have a weekly build from 0.21-fixes SVN, and other
distributions (such as SUSE, KnoppMyth, MiniMyth, XBox-Myth (sorry,
don't know the name), etc.) wanted less frequent builds, then the list
should contain one SVN revision per week.  Users who choose to use
multiple distributions could then find the most recent revision packaged
by all distros they use.  So, for example, even if one distro had new
builds once per month and another did weekly builds, the user would be
able to select a build for both distros that uses an identical SVN
revision and is less than a month old.  (I'm imagining this list would
be maintained on the wiki and that a table could show which distros
built which revisions.  The table could be filled in by users of
distros, rather than by the person maintaining the list of revisions.)

For those distros providing bleeding/experimental/whatever packages
built from trunk, the same could apply.  A separate list of trunk
revisions could be maintained for those packages.

Of course, this whole plan hinges not only on packager acceptance
(itself hinging on my assumption that this wouldn't really create extra
work for packagers) but also on someone's volunteering to maintain the
list.  In addition, if a distro creates packages more frequently than
other distros, it assumes that users will be able to upgrade to some
other-than-the-newest build (which may mean keeping a few builds
around--if it's even possible for a user to choose "how far" to upgrade).

Thanks,
Mike