[mythtv-users] Please recommend a IR receiver that can wake from suspend-2-ram

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sun Mar 16 16:20:00 UTC 2008

For several years I had been using a IRA-3 infrared receiver and had
been quite happy with it. When I was building my new box a few months
back, I did a bunch of research into different IR receiver options.
One of the features that was important to me was the ability to wake
the machine from suspend to ram via the USB port. After looking
around, I had seen several people say they were happy with the
USB-UIRT, and the myth wiki mentioned that the device could wake the
machine from suspend.

However, after getting the USB-UIRT, I have been quite unhappy with
it, for a number of reasons

1) The wake from suspend feature doesn't appear to work under linux (I
had a thread about the issue about a month or so back).

2) The device seems to be much more finicky about the direction the
remote is pointed. With my IRA-3, I could point any of my remotes at
the opposite wall and the IRA-3 would still detect it fine. With the
USB-UIRT, some of my remotes still work fine like that, but others
need to be pointed directly at the receiver (I've replaced the
batteries and it's still a problem).

3) Configuring the USB-UIRT with irrecord is very problematic. I had
to repeat the process many times to get it to work. It kept telling me
there was a problem when I tried to record certain buttons. Other
buttons would occasionally give me that error and then work other
times. With the IRA-3, everything I tried had always worked on the
first attempt.

4) Most importantly...the USB-UIRT just died on me after only 2
months. The red light is stuck on, it won't receive any input, and
neither linux nor windows can detect the device.

Since my research failed me the first time, I thought I'd ask for
first hand experiences with other receivers. Waking from suspend via
the USB port is a must have feature for me (if it weren't, I'd still
be using my IRA-3), so please don't bother recommending anything that
doesn't support it.

--
Ron