[mythtv-users] Missing /dev/lcd0 with Silverstone LC16M

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Sun Mar 16 06:12:30 UTC 2008

> I'm missing /dev/lcd0 for starters so LCDproc is haing issues.
> #LCDd
> imon: ERROR opening /dev/lcd0 (No such file or directory).
> imon: Did you load the iMON VFD kernel module?
> imon: More info in lcdproc/docs/README.imon
> Driver [imon] init failed, return code < 0
> Could not load driver imon
> There is no output driver
> Critical error while initializing, abort.

I'm having issues with /dev/lcdX also (I have the LC14M case but the VFD
hardware is the same).  I actually have one, but it's not consistently
numbered.  Sometimes it gets created as /dev/lcd0, sometimes as lcd1 or
lcd2.  So, to get the VFD device to work I need to change the line in
/etc/LCDd.conf manually, then restart LCDd.  This is, obviously, a pain.

I have tried placing this line in /etc/init.d/LCDd:

mknod /dev/lcd0 c 180 144

but I don't think it's necessary, because sometimes I'll see the error
message stating that the file already exists.

This distro (Mandriva) uses udev, but I can't find a rule dealing with the
/dev/lcdX files.  If someone can give me the syntax for such a rule, I'd
appreciate it, because I would guess that would clear up the
inconsistency.

For what it's worth, here's what the device files look like now - lcd0
created by the above line in /etc/init.d/LCDd, and lcd1 created by the
imon driver (I'd assume?)

[root at vader: /]$ lsl /dev/lcd*
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 180, 144 2008-03-15 22:44 /dev/lcd0
crw-rw---- 1 root root 180,   1 2008-03-15 22:43 /dev/lcd1

/dev/lcd1 is the device file that's actually functional at this moment.
It was created first, so I'm wondering why it was numbered 1 instead of 0.

Any tips would be appreaciated - thanx
Bob