[mythtv-users] Anyone using RocketRAID?

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 18:47:25 UTC 2008

Just wanted to add some perspective from my own personal experience, not
with this particular card, but with the company who makes these cards,
HighPoint.  First, I have to qualify my comments by saying that this was
several years ago and it was with what was probably the lowest card on their
food chain.  Having said that, my experience with them was horrible.  I was
just looking for a PCI card so that I could add some more ATA hard drives to
my system.  I chose the HighPoint card because it was reasonably priced and
they *seemed to be *Linux friendly.  However, I came to find out that their
Linux support only included a small number of distros.  I still thought I
was OK because RedHat was one of the supported distros, but as someone
pointed out in a previous post, they only supported specific kernels within
the supported distros, and did not seem good at keeping things up to date.
The card *kind of* worked with the standard, up to date, RedHat kernel that
I was using at the time, but I had issues with the card not recognizing the
full capacity of one of my drives, and I also had some problems with the
system locking up.  I tried contacting support via email, and although they
did respond, they were not very helpful.  I have to admit I never tried
calling their support line.  I simply gave up, and found another, cheaper
card from NewEgg; which although it didn't specifically say that Linux was
supported, worked out of the box, with the stock kernel.

Maybe things have changed with this company over time, or maybe with as you
move up in their product lines things are better.  However, my personal
recommendation would be to stay away from HighPoint.