[mythtv-users] Anyone using RocketRAID?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Mar 15 17:34:24 UTC 2008

On Mar 15, 2008, at 10:59 AM, John Drescher wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 6:58 PM, David Durham, Jr.
> <david.durham.jr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here's the product description from newegg:
>>
>>  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115048
>>
>> Hardware RAID from $325.  Says it supports RAID 6, and works with the
>> Linux 2.6.  Anyone using one of these and have some comments on its
>> quality?  I didn't know you could do RAID 6 with just 4 drives, or am
>> I missing something about this product.  Looks to me that it only
>> supports 4 drives.
>>
> I would just get a 3ware card instead. And get one with enough ports
> for the amount of drives you want. You can get 8 port models on eBay
> for this same price range.

Or even consider software RAID, which is pretty solid these days.

There are advantages to hardware RAID of course, but one drawback is
that if the controller fails it usually has to be replaced by an
identical one if you want to save the data on the array.

Some hardware RAID cards are  particular as to what drives they will
work with, though I think this sort of limitation is pretty well a
thing of the past.

beww