[mythtv-users] How to get rid of slow and fancy menu fade in/out effects

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 14 15:03:32 UTC 2008

On 03/14/2008 10:53 AM, aaron wrote:
> On 3/14/08, Marc MERLIN <marc_mtv at merlins.org> wrote:
>
>> As for the other comment to fix my 3d rendering, it looks ok:
>> myth:~$  glxgears -info
>> GL_RENDERER   = GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X/AGP/SSE2/3DNOW!
>> GL_VERSION    = 1.5.8 NVIDIA 96.31
>> GL_VENDOR     = NVIDIA Corporation
> I have a 440MX as well, and I've been told (by Mike Dean) that it's
> not quite up to the task of doing OpenGL at 1920x1080.

It was really only the OpenGL transitions in MythGallery that it didn't
handle for me.  That and I had to crank Goom way down (to the point of
blockiness).

>  I've not tried,
> though, as I always had stability problems whenever I enabled it with
> my old TV, where I was using 800x600. I have noticed that even with
> the Qt renderer the menus aren't quite as snappy at 1920x1080 as they
> were at 800x600. Far from unusable; just a titch slower than instant.

Exactly my results with OpenGL at 1920x1080 on my MX440.  The menu was
just slightly slower than at lower resolutions, but probably primarily
due to the loading of the larger image sizes (rather than the OpenGL
itself).

Mike