[mythtv-users] How to get rid of slow and fancy menu fade in/out effects

Marc MERLIN marc_mtv at merlins.org
Fri Mar 14 14:40:41 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 02:21:56AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/14/2008 02:15 AM, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > At the top level menu, and also in mythtv-setup, there is some fancy fade in
> > display that took 1 sec in 640x480 and now takes around 5sec in 1920x1080p.
> > It's really unbearable when I run mythtv-setup over ssh forward. It can take
> > 30-60 seconds to display the top menu items.
> >
> > I tried turning off opengl rendering, but that doesn't seem to be it.
>
> You need to turn off the OpenGL theme painter (i.e. choose the QT theme
> painter) and restart the frontend.

Doh, I did do that, but got fooled by the 'regenerating cache' stuff, and
thought it had restarted the frontend.
Clearly, it did not.

As for the other comment to fix my 3d rendering, it looks ok:
myth:~$  glxgears -info
GL_RENDERER   = GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X/AGP/SSE2/3DNOW!
GL_VERSION    = 1.5.8 NVIDIA 96.31
GL_VENDOR     = NVIDIA Corporation

And indeed, the fact that it was trying software 3d rendering of those
effects when I ran mythtv-setup over a forwarded ssh connection made it
unbearable.

All better now that I've switched back to Qt.

Thanks,
Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/