[mythtv-users] Frontend management | was: Livetv idle timer in 0.21: where to set?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 14 02:46:47 UTC 2008

On 03/13/2008 08:22 PM, Ronald Frazier wrote:
>>  And then sticking around to maintain it as settings change...  :)
>>
> Well, thats not necessarily a problem if you implement it right. The
> ideal way (at least to me) would be to implement it in a way that
> forces people to keep it up to date. Tie it into the context class so
> that before you are allowed to read a setting, you have to have
> registered the setting. Registering it would mean that you provide
> it's name, specify if it's per host or global, and provide a
> description of what it does. Registration would be done once per
> module, when the module first loads.
>
> Of course, thats not to stop someone from creating a dummy
> registration call with placeholder text (ex: "description goes here"),
> but there also nothing to stop someone from writing really crappy
> code....except for the fact that the people with checkin privileges
> can refuse to accept it. You could treat this the same way. If you
> don't document your settings, we don't check in your code.

If that's the way it's written, sure, you wouldn't have to stick
around.  However, the post to which I responded said (in the part
trimmed above), "The most challenging is collecting all settings with
corresponding options, i think," which made me assume that a huge patch
which completely reworks the existing settings functionality wasn't part
of the plan.  If it is, great.

Mike