[mythtv-users] can't get into mythweb

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Mar 14 02:42:45 UTC 2008

On Mar 13, 2008, at 2:43 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:

> You are likely not allowing mysql connections from the hostname that
> apache is reporting. If you don't know your hostname, check your
> mysql/apache logs to see why it's denying access.
> Or it could be something as simple as using the wrong password
> (assuming you've changed it from the default "mythtv" you need to
> also change it in your config file for apache.
>
> mysql> grant all privileges on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"hostname"
> identified by 'mythtv_password' with grant option;
>
> will likely fix your problem.
>
> -Brad
>

> OK, i tried literally doing this at the command line:
>
> mysql> grant all privileges on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"hostname"
> identified by 'mythtv_password' with grant option;
>
> didn't get an error or anything, but it didn't work. About 3 weeks
> ago i was using mythweb just fine when i had the ubuntu packages for
> mythtv installed. I then decided, how bout I go and build it from
> the svn so i can learn to do some linux building (I'm still pretty
> new to linux). Since then my mythweb has not worked, though i got
> the rest of myth working just fine (so far).
>
> OK, also, i was just able to get into mysql using the root user. I'm
> not sure why it didn't work before. Using the mythtv user does not
> work still. Also, i found this command on the mythtv site:
>
> mysql> UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD('mythtv') WHERE
> user='mythtv';
> mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
> mysql> quit
>
> But after running the first line i get this message:
> ERROR 1046 (3D000) : No database selected
>
> So i tried to log into the mysql database not the mythconverg
> database, and got this error when trying the same commands:
>
> Query OK, 2 rows affected (0.00 sec)
> Rows matched: 4  Changed: 2  Warnings: 0
>
> I think that means it was successful...but i could be wrong.
>
> Mythweb is still not working though and i get the exact same
> database access denied error.
>
> I really don't even think it's this, but I'm out of options at this
> point so that's why i'm trying to just change the password. My
> frontends have no problem connecting with the default mythtv user
> passwords.
>
> Any other ideas at what this issue could be?
> -Thanks
> -Steve

Oy. Ok.. when I said "hostname", I meant to use your actual hostname.
If you don't know what hostname apache is saying it's coming from, you
need to check your apache settings. I think the mysql logs will also
let you know the hostname that attempted the denied connection.

Yes, that UPDATE user command should be performed on the mysql
database - HOWEVER - since you don't appear to know SQL, I wouldn't
recommend running *any* commands on the mysql database at all because
you can really break everything in a very bad way if you aren't careful.

You can try this command:

mysql> grant all privileges on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%" identified
by 'mythtv' with grant option;

This is not recommended because now you're allowing a mysql connection
from *any* host (% is a wildcard character), but since you're clearly
behind a firewall or you wouldn't be using the default mythtv
password, you can give it a try. Just be aware than this is a security
risk.

-Brad

P.S. What mail client are you using? It's difficult to tell your
response from other responses in the thread because they're both
indented at the same level. Someone emailed me to complain about it
because they thought it was my fault. :)