[mythtv-users] Goodbye Analog!

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 13 18:37:52 UTC 2008

On 03/13/2008 02:19 PM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 12:38:28PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> If you're SD, then this shouldn't happen
>>>
>> Depending exclusively on the bitrate you had chosen to use and the
>> bitrate the broadcaster/rebroadcaster have chosen to use, of course.
>>
> Oh, sure: but the program producer likely encoded it as VBR, and your
> tuner card can't.

Well, I used to get about 1.15GiB/hr from my PVR-x50's, but now, the
standard def digital OTA I receive is just over 2GiB/hr.  I did choose
quantity over quality for NTSC (as NTSC doesn't really have quality) and
it seems that my local broadcasters are choosing to provide pretty good
quality (ignoring that most of it is simply captured NTSC), so the ATSC
standard def I get is much better quality.  But file size is exclusively
determined by bitrate, so...

Mike