[mythtv-users] ac3-encoder and software volume control for spdif connected receiver

Markus Schulz msc at antzsystem.de
Thu Mar 13 17:30:54 UTC 2008

hello,

after seen the new multichannel stuff from ticket #1104 i thought about
if it was possible to do the following:

- connect soundcard (sblive audigy 1 es - for me) with toslink to an
external a/v-receiver (with dts/dd5.1 decoder)
- decode _all_ (yes ac3/dts broadcasts too) sound to 2/6 channels pcm
streams
- use alsa/mythtv volume control to change volume for all kind of audio
- use alsa-ac3 encoder plugin to reencde to dd2.0/5.1
- pass-thru the encoded stuff to the external decoder.

currently i can only control volume from my external a/v-receiver, cause
i view mostly pass-thru (ac3) stuff. Therefore i need to use an
universal remote where i can learn the volume-buttons or use two
remotes...

I've played a little bit with asoundrc and mplayer, the alsa-ac3 encoder
plugin works (audio sounds ok) but mplayer has some troubles (system
too slow message but no cpu usage and some strange alsa-errors).

I've tried mythtv too with different alsa:* setups, but without luck.

--
Markus Schulz