[mythtv-users] Fedora 8 and mythtv 0.21

wouter lists wouter.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 10:17:08 UTC 2008

After having a stable system running for months with Fedora 7 and
mythtv 0.20, I decided it was time to upgrade with the new release of
mythtv 0.21. It was also the moment to upgrade to fedora 8 to take
advantage of the tickless kernel.

I started with formatting the system partition and installed a fresh
FC8  to avoid problems with older libraries.

The first problem was X. The PC is connected via a scart2vga cable to
my tv, so I need a custom modeline:
        ModeLine "1024x576" 19.875 1024 1092 1140 1272 576 581 586 625
+hsync +vsync interlace composite
It looks like X is ignoring the custom modeline. After some googling I
found that I have to add:
        Option      "Preferred Mode" "1024x576"
This didn't help. I'm using the open source ati drivers and there are
some problems with the latest ones (according to google).

I'm gonna solve this issue later and connected a normal monitor. The
installation of mythtv went very smooth.

Mythfrontend always gives a segmentation fault when quitting live tv.

Am I glad that I took a backup. It was 3 am and nothing was working.
To keep my wife happy, I restored the backup and everything is up and
running again.

I'll try to update again in a few days, but I have some questions:

- Are other people having the same issues with the latest ati drivers
and custom modelines? How did you solve it?
- Is pulseaudio now working with mythtv-0.21? I didn't have time to verify.
- Are there other segmentation faults with mythfrontend on FC8?

Any help is welcome.

Regards,

Wouter

PS: I used ATrpms to install mythtv and it's a x86_64 system.