[mythtv-users] LiveTV limited number of channels

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Mar 12 22:07:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 07:49 -0400, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> > > It always displays
> > > only channels on the current tuner.
> >
> > OK. My impression is that there should have been more channels then. I
> > should have seen all channels on the same multiplex as Film4 right?
>
> It should display all channels that are configured for the particular
> tuner thats in use. Ideally, that would be  everything it's capable of
> receiving, but maybe you don't have them all setup. Try the following:
> Run the mythtv-setup program, go into the Input Connections, and see
> what video source is attached to that tuner. Then go into the Channel
> Editor section. This will display all the channels on your system, but
> down below there is a box where you can choose to filter it by a
> single video source. Do that and then look at the list of available
> channels. If you don't see all the channels, that may be your problem.
> However, if you see channels listed that you aren't able to browse to
> on that tuner, then I'm not sure.
>
> The only other thing I can think of is what you guessed....maybe all
> your tuners were being monopolized by recordings and it was only
> showing you what could be tuned on that multiplex.

This can happen if a scheduled recording hi-jacks your tuner. If there
are other channels available on another tuner you can still type them
in and switch directly to that channel, they just don't show up in
browse mode. All the channels show up in the EPG however and the ones
you can't currently tuner are marked. (I believe the marking depends on
the theme you are using.)

This ticket http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4501 has a patch for
the browse more, but its approach uses a lot of CPU. We will probably
commit a fix which uses less CPU in the next few months as someone
gets around to implementing something more like what the EPG uses.

-- Daniel