[mythtv-users] MySQL Status Variable Select_full_join Is Not 0

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Wed Mar 12 17:38:46 UTC 2008

I've been attempting to educate myself and do a little tuning to get the
most out of my underpowered system.  In checking MySQL status variables
using MySQL Administrator, I came across this:

Select_full_join      122      The number of joins that do not use
indexes. If this value is not 0, you should carefully check the indexes
of your tables.

Interestingly, I then checked using the mysql client from the command
line.  I got these results:

mysql> show status LIKE 'select_full_join';
+------------------+-------+
| Variable_name    | Value |
+------------------+-------+
| Select_full_join | 0     |
+------------------+-------+

I found many other similar discrepancies between MySQL Administrator and
mysql client.

Questions:

1.  Which tool is accurately reporting status variables?

2.  If Select_full_join is not "0", what is the impact and recommended
action?

Thanks,

Drew

--