[mythtv-users] OT: Messed up VNC

Bob Bobbson mythterious.benefactor at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 17:09:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 7:26 AM, Damian <damian at gingermagic.co.uk> wrote:

> David Whyte wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 6:17 AM, Damian <damian at gingermagic.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > <snip>
> >>  The problem is that when I try to look at the screen from a different
> >>  machine (I'm usung TightVNC on XP), the display is all garbled. I can
> >>  log in fine, but it looks like there are about 4 screens interlaced
> >>  horizontally. I can kind or see what I'm doing enough to press a
> couple
> >  </snip>
> >
> > I see the same thing on my mythbuntu box.  Very annoying.  Let me know
> > if you find a solution.
> >
> > Ta,
> > Whytey
>
> Hi Whytey
>
> Mache's solution worked for me. It gives more limited functionality (I
> don't think you can log in from the log in screen, so therefore can't
> switch users), but at least it works!
>
> Damian

The problem is in the xorg.conf Display subsection.

I had a spurious line, I think generated by nvidia-xconfig:

SubSection "Display"
...blah...
Virtual 1280 1024
EndSection

I had the same issue last night, and eventually discovered the entry.
Changed that to :

Virtual 1024 768 # for vnc - match to screen res

And that fixed it nicely.  May even work without. YMMV

Mythterious