[mythtv-users] Compiling MythTV on a computer instead of the Xbox

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 16:35:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 1:30 AM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
>  Can you not install xebian in a chroot directory on your main computer or
>  will it only install into a complete disk partition.
>
>  I've not tried with xebian but on gentoo I just installed a stage3 into a
>  chroot environment and then built everything under that - I just had to
>  rsync the result to a spare harddrive and boot it on the Xbox. All done!

I suppose what you're suggesting is possible; but I don't see what
would be gained by installing Xebian on a different machine.  I'm not
having issues with the speed of the XBox (because I'm not at the
compiling MythTV stage yet; and I was planning to use distcc anyway).

Plus, since I'm running Xebian from a gamesave partition, I'm stuck
with kernel 2.4.x.... and also, my main machine's hardware specs are
almost completely different from the XBox specs.

Could you elaborate on how this approach would be useful?
Thanks!