[mythtv-users] Meta: PLEASE trim posts !

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Mar 12 15:52:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 03:21:34PM -0700, Scott Alfter wrote:
> > For those who didn't realize that was a bad idea, and now want to go
> > back to participating in the wonderful 7-bit ASCII world of RFC-2822
> > email, let me point you to
> >
> > 		http://expita.com/nomime.html
> >
> > which will be happy to explain to you how to turn off outgoing HTML on
> > your email, so you will piss off fewer people on mailing lists and
> > contribute less to the flood of bytes.
>
> Um...I don't know if that was aimed at me specifically or at the list in
> general, but my outbound mail is already set to plain-text and has been that
> way pretty much forever.  While that link provides plenty of good reasons why
> HTML mail is evil and tips on disabling it, I suspect the people who'd most
> need to read it would be the same ones who have trouble finding the Any key.

True.  And "Clearly not", in that order.  Hell, you even have a
tasteful Warlord in your sig...

> I suppose it comes down to how active you want to be in getting people
> to do the Right Thing. Sometimes, it's just easier to work around
> other people's brokenness. Other people top-posting presents enough
> windmills for me to tilt at, and that only trips in when I reply to
> them. :-)

True. I'll occasionally un-top-post someone if what they have to say is
interesting enough to reply to.

But I *always* include that link, if I do.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)