[mythtv-users] Firewire changes in 0.21 (trouble)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 15:26:29 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Justin Nolan <hondacrxsi at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just updated to 0.21 (using ubuntu gutsy-backports). My firewire
>  tuner was missing right off the bat, most likely because it now
>  identifies it by id instead of port:node. Adding it again was simple--
>  it was instantly recognized and had found the proper id. I linked it
>  to my source (which I verified was in tact).
>
>  Now the trouble-no matter what I do, the backend gives me this message
>  when starting: ERROR: no valid capture cards are defined in the
>  database.
>
>  I have triple checked that it is set up correctly in the backend. When
>  I try to watch TV, it just refreshed the main menu screen. Doesn't
>  even leave a message in the backend log--it's not trying to
>  communicate to the firewire cable box at all.
>
>  Because of this, I haven't even begun to worry about firewire priming
>  and all that mess.
>
>  So what am I missing? I have a tuner, a source, and connected the two,
>  yet the backend is telling me I don't have a capture card defined?! I
>  had my firewire running beautifully using the guide and primer posted
>  here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_Firewire). I'm not sure
>  how much of that applies to 0.21, since it seems to have much of this
>  now built in. Though I can't find any good documentation on using
>  firewire in this new release.
>
>  Thanks for your time!

Is your firewire recorder your only recorder?
In general with issues like this, running mythtv-setup an deleting all
your recorders and adding them again is a good way to refresh the
database of your recorders (IIRC it "blanks" the database's recorders
table whereas deleting individually won't refresh it in this way).
I've gotten into the habit of doing this with every major upgrade. I
run SVN a lot so it can be kind of a pain, but for the ~10mins it
takes I've not had any issues since I started to do this.

Also, much of the info on that page is outdated. I didn't look to much
at the primer scripts, but there are two on the mythtv wiki that will
probably be more up to date and work better depending on your issue
(there are basically two issues with the DCT boxes each script is
designed to solve one of them, and I don't think the issues live
together so its a one or the other proposition).

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!