[mythtv-users] Multirec performance tests inside

Florian Bittner flo at flobittner.de
Wed Mar 12 11:28:49 UTC 2008

Hi,

after upgrading to 0.21 i wondered how many recordings per card i should
allow. So i did some tests and perhaps someone else is interested in so i
post them here.

Backend specs:

AMD64 3500+, 2GB RAM, 4x500GB S-ATA with linux (software) raid 5 and LVM. OS
is opensuse 10.2. Some other services are running on this machine, e.g.
fetchmail, exim, clamav, spamassassin, imapd, nagios.
3 DVB-S cards (hauppauge nova-se2) have 3 max recordings each.

Test setting:

9 recordings (6 freetv + 3 paytv) + mythcommflag (on 1 recording) + 1
recording streamed to frontend

Result:

CPU load: 60-80% (md1_raid5 < 3%, commflag 10-30%, mythbackend < 5 %, sasc-ng
20-40%)
I/O load: top shows wa at 15-30%
Mem usage: myth 20%, sasc 10%, mysql 5%

I haven't recognized any stutter in playback or in the recordings (i randomly
watch pieces), so that the setting is stable for production use :-)

I do another test with max recordings per card set to 5 later.

Greetings,
Flo