[mythtv-users] UK greenfield site... DVB-T or DVB-S?

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Wed Mar 12 09:53:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 09:29 +0000, Dan Gravell wrote:
> In a greenfield site, would one choose terrestrial or satellite? I'm
> interested from a MythTV perspective; obviously I know the viewing and
> content implications. It seems that DVB-T cards are a bit better
> supported, is this true? Are there things I need to check in order for
> a DVB-S card to work? Can these work just pointing to the standard Sky
> satellite? Is HD ever likely on terrestrial?

DVB-T is very well supported, mostly, from a drivers and a MythTV
perspective. I have an Hauppauge dual-tuner card on Freeview that rocks.

HD is planned on terrestrial in the UK, but it will be rolled out using
DVB-T2, count on that in the next 2 years. I haven't seen any DVB-T2
hardware yet as the standard is not finalised AFAIK.

DVB-S is pretty well supported without much fuss, from a drivers
perspective as well as from a MythTV perspective. I have a DVB-S card
with a dish on Astra1 (19.2E) for some French channels, it works very
well, including EIT and Multirec.

HD from satellite (Freesat on Eurobird) will be using DVB-S2. Support
for that is still weird from a drivers perspective.

Regarding drivers for DVB, you will have a much better chance of getting
answers @ linuxtv.org.

Nico
Aberdeen, Scotland
http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc