[mythtv-users] OT: Messed up VNC

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Tue Mar 11 20:17:24 UTC 2008

Hello all,

Please excuse just how far off topic this is (aside from the fact that it's my MythBox that I'm trying to VNC into), but people on this forum are the most techy I know and I've had no joy asking this elsewhere.

I'm running a VNC server in this way:

xorg.conf:

Section "Module"
    Load        "vnc"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    # Allow VNC access to this screen
    Option        "SecurityTypes"    "VncAuth"
    Option        "UserPasswdVerifier"    "VncAuth"
    Option        "PasswordFile"    "/root/.vnc/passwd"
EndSection

The problem is that when I try to look at the screen from a different
machine (I'm usung TightVNC on XP), the display is all garbled. I can
log in fine, but it looks like there are about 4 screens interlaced
horizontally. I can kind or see what I'm doing enough to press a couple
of buttons, but it's not usable. Any ideas what could be happening? I'm
running the screen at 1280x720. I think that everything was fine with VNC
when my display settings were wrong (I had a squashed 4x3 display
fitting into a 16x9 box for months), but it's broken since I 'fixed' it.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Damian