[mythtv-users] Monitor/tv calibration?

Marc Sherman msherman at projectile.ca
Tue Mar 11 18:50:40 UTC 2008

Florin Andrei wrote:

> Avia II and Digital Video Essentials are standard calibration tools for TVs:
>
> http://www.ovationmultimedia.com/avia2.html
>
> http://www.videoessentials.com/DVD_NTSC.php
>
> You can either purchase the DVDs on-line, or you can rent them from Netflix.
> If rented, they don't come with the color filters, but there's a
> solution to that: Ovation Multimedia sells replacement filters for Avia
> on-line, so you can just purchase the filters from them. The filters
> work with Digital Video Essentials too.
>
> The filters are only required for a few tests, the majority of tests are
> black and white.

Thanks for the info! Zip.ca (the version of netflix available in Canada)
only has the original Avia dvd, not the newer Avia 2. Am I missing much
functionality if I get that one?

I have a DVD player, an HD LCD, and a myth box (connected to the LCD
using DVI), if that makes a difference to your answer.

> Well, you may still try the color calibration tests (with the filters)
> and see if they make any difference for you.

Yeah, I'll do as much of it on my own as I can, and then get my wife to
go over the colour tests with me for verification.

- Marc