[mythtv-users] Questions prior to 0.21 upgrade

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Mar 11 17:33:45 UTC 2008

On 03/11/2008 12:42 PM, Florian Bittner wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 11. März 2008 17:21:17 schrieb Derek Stark:
>> Further, if 0.21 turns out to be bad business for me, will the DB be
>> backwards-compatible? Again, I'll have the backup, but if I can leave
>> MySQL alone, I prefer to.
>>
> Worked for me, too! I tested 0.21 a few weeks ago and it upgraded my database.
> Of course i did a backup, but i tested 0.20.2 with the new schema and it

appeared to work

> worked, so i didn't use the backup.

and now MythTV is probably silently corrupting your data...  Note that
you bear all responsibility for data loss or data corruption while
running in this unsupported configuration, so please don't report any
bugs or issues.  :)

Note that starting with MythTV 0.21, the mythfrontend, mythbackend, and
mythtv-setup will no longer even start if the database schema version is
wrong.  This code was explicitly added to prevent corruption of user
data that has occurred because users ignored our repeated pleas to use
the same MythTV SVN branch/revision on all hosts (and to prevent a
"wrong versioned" client, i.e. on a laptop or a live CD, from breaking a
working system).

The only reason you're able to run MythTV 0.20.2 (0.20-fixes, I hope,
since 0.20.2 is completely broken) with a newer DB schema version is
because you're using a version of Myth from before we started trying to
prevent users from shooting themselves in their own feet.  Because it
appears to work, doesn't mean it does, and you're much better off
upgrading back to 0.21.

Mike