[mythtv-users] DST-related guide problem - inserted into db off by one hour

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Mar 11 12:11:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 3:00 AM,  <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:
>  I suspect the only reason we haven't seen howls of protest is because
>  most people start and stop recordings on the hour, and not a minute or
>  two -before- the hour, and because the wee hours are unpopular times
>  to be recording.

>  This sort of sloppy timekeeping has been the subject of innumerable
>  derisive posts in Risks Digest over the years, and I sure didn't
>  expect to see it here.

Yep...it sucks when bad initial decisions end up getting entrenched in
the code. The issue is that myth works off of localtime rather than
UTC (database records and recording filenames). When the time change
goes the other direction in November we get key collisions in the DB,
and filename collisions in the filesystem. Switching everything except
the display to UTC would solve those issues (but make the data less
friendly for manual inspection).

I honestly wouldn't mind tackling such an issue (I somewhat enjoy
polishing out trivial issues that nobody wants to touch) except that
it probably would touch so many parts of the code I've never looked at
(I've only been coding on myth for a few months).

--
Ron