[mythtv-users] how do I setup MultRec for 0.21?

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Tue Mar 11 08:53:44 UTC 2008

> On 11/03/2008, Paul <mylists at wilsononline.id.au> wrote:
>> I read the Wiki for Mult-rec  (
>>  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Multirec) but couldn't see if I
>>  need to enable/setup this feature.
>>
>>  Does this feature need to be enabled?
>
> If you want to use the multirec feature, you need to delete your
> multirec-compatible capture cards in mythtv-setup, recreate them as
> before, and then (key step) choose the desired number of 'virtual'
> tuners for each card.
>
> Setting the number of virtual tuner >1 for a capture card enables
> multirec and governs how many parallel recordings can be made from a
> capture card, assuming the channels to be recorded from are broadcast
> on the same multiplex.

I had so much trouble finding it a couple of months ago when multirec was
merged into trunk. Drove me bonkers at the time...

Go through the sequence in mythtv-setup as follows:

Capture Cards
Choose device (in my case DVB0)
Recording Options
Max Recordings - default is 2, I run at 3, some people (with more modern
hardware than I have) run 4 or more

Note there is no phrase 'virtual tuner' on any of these screens!

--
Robin Gilks