[mythtv-users] 1080i HD and macmini: Choppy playback

Todd Ignasiak todd.ignasiak at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 02:52:22 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Eric Robinson <ryunokokoro at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 8:30 PM, Wade Maxfield <mythtv at hotblack.co.nz>
> wrote:
> >
> > Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> > > Hi

> > > I didn't see any 0.21 built for Intel there, that's why I started to
> > > compile my owns...
> >
> > The OP never said they were using 0.21. In fact they never said which
> > version they were using, so I wouldn't recommend they use your version
> > in case they haven't upgraded their backend yet...
> >
> >  -Wade

> We have three Mac Mini's that we use as FrontEnds.  We just got an Intel
> Octocore Mac Pro connected to a Dell 2408WFP.  We use Universal Binary
> builds from The Snider Pad.  See:
>
> http://www.thesniderpad.com//component/option,com_remository/Itemid,36/func,fileinfo/id,537/
>
> We have seen and continue to see this issue on all 1080i content being
> played back on 1080p+ panels (the resolution of the 2408WFP is 1920x1200).
> As of 0.20.2 this issue remains.
>
> This has been touched upon in the mailing list before as well:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/294605?search_string=mac%20os%20x%20choppy%20playback;#294605
>
> I am not sure if this has been fixed for 0.21 builds but my guess is that it
> is the same issue as before.

The original thread you referenced has information about a patch that
solved the problem ( small change to avoid doing software scaling when
not needed ).   I just checked the 0.21 source code, and that patch is
included in the release version.  I don't have access to a 1080p
display to test it right now, hopefully someone else can verify it.

Of course, I'm having other problems with 0.21 playback, which I
haven't had time to debug yet.  As it is now, my CPU requirement for
HD playback almost doubled in moving to 0.21, putting it beyond the
capability of my 1.66GHz Mini.