[mythtv-users] Meta: PLEASE trim posts !

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Mar 11 02:42:41 UTC 2008

On Mar 10, 2008, at 8:23 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2008, at 4:32 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> This list is actually FAR better than most.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> But anything can use improvement.
>
> And again.
>
>> Lack of trimming is by far the most common problem here.
>
> I think instead of encouraging bottom posting, we should be
> encouraging in-line posting, then as a second choice, bottom posting.
> People will be more likely to trim if they want their in-line comments
> read.

I suppose we could all just filter any post that contains 2 or more
list sig blocks. Perhaps that could be done on the server side. If it
isn't worth the few seconds it takes to edit out the sigs it probably
isn't worth posting.

We should probably all (especially me) be consistent with "OT" in the
subject, to help folks who wish to filter OT posts.

As for people sending html and the like, I think you have to make a
distinction between those who simply do not know better, and those
doing it knowingly, and point them to the appropriate places.

I'd guess a lot of folks come here who are new to mailing lists, we
want to create a a good first impression and show them the right way
to do things, not chase them away.

At least I think that's what we want.

Didn't I once see software that would calculate your
(original_material/citations) ratio? Whatever happened to that?

beww