[mythtv-users] DST-related guide problem - inserted into db off by one hour

Jesse Burt genecide at comcast.net
Tue Mar 11 01:58:24 UTC 2008

It appears I've been bitten by a bit of carelessness on my part (or so I
thought at first, now I just don't know) and the silliness that is
Daylight Savings Time. I run an AMD64 Gentoo Myth backend (0.20.2p15634)
that uses ntp to sync with internet timeservers every boot. Yesterday
when time rolled forward an hour, for some reason the ntp daemon never
picked it up (IIRC, it has worked in the past). When I first went to
watch TV I hadn't noticed that anything was wrong until I looked at the
guide: everything in the guide was actually not going to be shown for
another hour. For example: today, the guide said that 'Star Trek:
Voyager' would be on at 3:00pm and 4:00pm. ST:V is actually on at 4:00pm
and 5:00pm. As near as I can tell, this isn't just some glitch in the
data with this channel; every channel seems to be affected. When I first
noticed the bogus timing, I checked the computer's clock and it was
indeed behind one hour, so I set it to the correct hour thinking that
might solve things. Unfortunately it didn't. I figured somehow the data
it retrieved from SD got inserted into the db an hour off what it should
be so I did a mythfilldatabase --refresh-today with the correct time
set. This didn't help either so I reluctantly did a --refresh-all. It
still hadn't helped, and at the end of the output this time I noticed:
2008-03-10 18:04:35.376 DataDirect: BlockedTime is: 2008-03-10T17:04:36
The 'BlockedTime' is an hour behind the current system time. Granted,
I'm not 100% certain what 'BlockedTime' refers to, but I am guessing it
either refers to the time of day mythfilldatabase thinks it is, or the
time in the database it will insert the data in. I was even considering
deleting my data sources and starting fresh but I'm not certain that
would help and I would rather know what has actually happened rather
than just wipe the slate clean and not learn anything. I am thinking it
is just some simple detail that I have stupidly overlooked but I'm not
seeing it, so if you have an idea, please chime in. Thanks for reading
(and sorry there was so much of it).

Cheers,
Jesse Burt