[mythtv-users] Shows did not record?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 10 21:55:15 UTC 2008

On 03/10/2008 04:46 PM, Ismo Tanskanen wrote:
> I have noticed few shows didnot record as expected.
> Just nothing in logs. If I go to "Previously Recorded" I see those shows
> grayed, and letter L behind it. What those letters do mean? In the
> bottom of display reads "Record All +0 Later Showing"

L means that at the time that showing aired, the scheduler had
determined that it would instead record a later showing of the episode.

> There is no later showing of this show.

Most likely there was when it aired, and your listings have since changed.

> There were free tuners available, as I have three tuners, and two
> virtuals each. Upcoming records didnot show any conflicts before
> recording. And if there were no free tuners, should myth throw popup
> asking for record? That it does usually.
>

> Only thing I believe is common for those "nonrecorded" shows; I was
> watching livetv at same channel and same time. Could this cause record
> to cancel?

Yes, depending on the answer you select for the popup that appears while
watching LiveTV.

> I don't have "Avoid conflicts between liveTV and scheduled shows" or
> "Allow livetv to move scheduled shows" checked in TVSettings/General

I'm guessing you /do/ have:

Reschedule Higher Priorities
Move higher priority programs to other cards and showings when resolving
conflicts.  This can be used to record lower priority programs that
would otherwise not be recorded, but risks missing a higher priority
program if the schedule changes.

Notice that nice long warning in the help text?

It is possible that there may be a bug in the new multirec/input groups
code that handles what happens when a scheduled recording begins while
the user is watching LiveTV as that's lightly tested (because it's new)
compared to everything else involved (including the scheduler).
However, to verify, we would need to see the logs and listings data from
the time the scheduled recording begins.  I.e. if you didn't get a popup
and there really was no other showing (based on the mechanism Myth uses
to determine if there's another showing--which may not just be a
title/subtitle search), the addition of multirec support may have made
the code think the LiveTV popup was not required when, perhaps, it still is.

Note, I didn't look at any of the code, so I am /not/ saying there is a
bug--only that much more investigation needs to be performed before we
ignore Occam's razor.

Mike