[mythtv-users] OT - Mac Advocacy, was; Which SVN?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 10 19:26:51 UTC 2008

On 03/10/2008 02:48 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Mar 10, 2008, at 9:20 AM, Matt Emmott wrote:
>
>> Not sure what he means by "more horsepower" needed than Windows, I'm
>> running  10.5.2 on a 1.25GHZ G4 eMac with a gig of ram and it runs
>> just fine. The eMac is at least 4 years old. Apple only sells high
>> end hardware because that's where the profit margins are. It has
>> nothing to do with horsepower needed to run the OS. And for what
>> it's worth, I'm no Mac fanboy - I'm a Windows admin.
>>
> For me Macs got a lot more attractive when they went to Intel chips.
> It's nice having the option of running MacOS, Linux, *or* Windows.

As I see it (ignoring all but MacOS, GNU/Linux, and Windows):
 - Intel hardware can run GNU/Linux or Windows
 - PowerPC hardware can run GNU/Linux
 - PowerPC hardware--blessed by Steve Jobs, and sold for a lot of
money--can run MacOS or GNU/Linux
 - Intel hardware--blessed by Steve Jobs, and sold for a lot of
money--can run MacOS, GNU/Linux, or Windows

So, you really feel it's worthwhile to pay for the /option/ of running
MacOS even though you may choose to install GNU/Linux or Windows on that
machine instead?

Mike