[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.21

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 19:02:25 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 09:27 -0400, ryan patterson wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 7:44 AM, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com>
> > wrote:
> >         On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Nicolas Will
> >         <nico at youplala.net> wrote:
> >         >  > is there an easy way for
> >         >  > someone like me running a stock ubuntu "current" +
> >         mythbuntu to get
> >         >  > .21?
> >         >
> >         >  Mythbuntu *is* Ubuntu.
> >         >
> >         >  It is a set of packages inside the Ubuntu repos, nothing
> >         more.
> >         >
> >         >  Eventually you can add the -fixes mythbuntu repo, or the
> >         -trunk repo.
> >

> >         Thanks for the other comments, very helpful... I may give
> >         backports a go.
> >
> >         However, Mythbuntu is not ubuntu if you're on the -fixes
> >         repo.  I have
> >         a non-ubuntu source in my sources.list with a non-ubuntu key
> >         signing
> >         the packages in order to run current mythbuntu.  This is not a
> >         complaint, but I still see mythbuntu as something seperate
> >         from "base
> >         base" ubuntu + myth packages.
> >

> >   If you wont complain then I will.  I use Ubuntu because I don't want
> > to run an unstable, cobbled together OS.  Unfortunately Mythbuntu is
> > an unstable cobbled together mess.  It is embarrassing that mythbuntu
> > is the official face of MythTV on Ubuntu.
>

> I fail to understand all the fuss.
>
> You want MythTV on Ubuntu? fine, get all the necessary stuff straight
> from the Ubuntu repositories, including the Mythbuntu Control Center.
> Get an upgrade every 6 months in the worst case, sooner if the new
> release is considered for the official Ubuntu backports repository (and
> it is).
>
> You want to have the latest and greatest -fixes for the current release?
> Fine by me. unfortunately, the Ubuntu release cycle and processes will
> not allow frequent updates like that from their repositories. Oh wait!
> The Mythbuntu guys are good enough and provide a repository with the
> latest -fixes builds, following exactly the same process used for the
> official release (using PPA, an official Ubuntu tool, for the in-between
> release building). You will get something that you can trust and that
> will not break your upgrade cycle with the new official releases when
> they come up.
>
> You want the latest and greatest -trunk? Also fine by me. Same remarks
> about its availability inside the official repositories. Oh wait! The
> Mythbuntu guys are good enough and provide a repository with the latest
> -fixes builds, following exactly the same process used for the official
> release (using PPA, an official Ubuntu tool, for the in-between release
> building). You will get something that you can trust and that will not
> [...]
The problem is I am not interested in almost everything you listed.  All the
stuff you listed make using mythbuntu into a huge project because I have to
figure out what weird setup the mythbuntu guys chose to use.  -trunk and
-fixes I could care less.  I only want the stable release.  That is why I
choose to use ubuntu.  I don't want to deal with different SVN versions
etc.  Why do they waste time working on a dedicated mythbuntu LiveCD when
the official ubuntu liveCD works just fine?  I find MCC is annoying to use
and almost always slower then doing the task by hand.  The mythbuntu guys
try to hide everything from the user for no good reason.  like when I try to
run 'mythtv-setup' it actually runs a script that kills and starts processes
without asking me first.  Same thing with running mythfrontend.  Why hide it
from the user by calling it 'mythfrontend.real'?  These hidden scripts don't
make MythTV easier to use.  They make it more difficult to use because
MythTV on Unbuntu is different from every other MythTV in the world.  So any
instructions found in an on-line forum wont work correctly etc.