[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.21

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Mon Mar 10 17:58:30 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/10/2008 12:19 PM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 11:31:36AM -0700, Paul Bender wrote:
>>
>>> Speaking of MiniMyth. If you want to give 0.21 a try, I have uploaded a
>>> test build of MiniMyth with 0.21. However, if you are running 0.20 right
>>> now, then try the latest 0.20 test build. If the 0.20 test build works
>>> without problems, then try the 0.21 test build. That way you can be more
>>> certain that the changes in MiniMyth 41b3 (e.g. the use of GCC 4.3) are
>>> not a problem on your system.
>>>
>> WHOA, Nelly.
>>
>> Unless I misread the .21 release notes; there's a *protocol upgrade*.
>>
>> You can't, easily, *do* what you've suggested people do there, can you?
>>
>> Or have I missed something?
>
> Think he was saying, "Go from your existing 0.20 version to the new
> MiniMyth 0.20 version.  If it doesn't work, roll back to your previous
> 0.20 version.  If it does work, try the MiniMyth 0.21 version."  I don't
> think "0.20 test build" differs from the 0.20 version users are
> currently running other than "OS" changes.
>
> Basically, the new MiniMyth 0.20 version is a good test of whether the
> other changes will work on a system before changing the DB.  If the new
> 0.20 version worked, but the new 0.21 version didn't, the user would
> have to restore the DB from a backup to downgrade to 0.20.

Correct, that is what I am saying.

I believe that it is a good idea to change as few things as possible.
Since the new MiniMyth contains OS related changes, I believe that it
would be best to use the new MiniMyth built with MythTV 0.20 with your
existing 0.20 setup. Once you are convinced that nothing is broken
related to the MiniMyth OS changes, you can upgrade your setup to the
new MiniMyth built with MythTV 0.21, which is the same as the new
MiniMyth built with MythTV 0.20 except that MythTV has been upgraded to
0.21.

And, of course, back up your DB before upgrading to MythTV 0.21.