[mythtv-users] Improving UK DVBT with Filters

Neil Milne neil.milne at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 16:05:07 UTC 2008

On 22/02/2008, Adam Skinner <kingmoffa at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just got myself a nice 1080p 42" LCD telly - and am using mythtv
>  with it via a vga connection - 1024x768.   I can only get 1080p via HDMI
>  which wont be coming until I buy a graphics card with hdmi (audio
>  needed).

Nice, I only have a 720p set :-( My hardware is an Athlon 3000+ CPU
with an FX5200 nvidia card so similar to your setup.

I've spent a bit of time trying to improve the SD picture (UK
freeview) over what you get with an 'out-of-the-box' setup - here's
what I've done:

I drive the TV using VGA (I did try using a DVI output but couldn't
get the Xorg conf to match what the TV was expecting so never got a
sync. VGA works fine though...)

I run at the native panel resolution (close enough) at 1368x768 at
60Hz (limitation of my TV)

On the frontend side I run a deinterlacer 'bob', have the mpeg2
decoder set to 'libmpeg2' and use opengl vsync. I did find using video
as timebase worked better, but it messes up the internal DVD player
and AC3/DTS passthrough (certainly did prior to 0.21 anyway, not sure
about 0.21+) so have that unchecked for the moment. I think at the
moment I also have realtime priority enabled, can't remember what
method though, it's one of the methods mentioned in the mythtv
documentation anyway.

This does a pretty good job for me. There is the occasional jerkiness
on scrolling titles etc which I assume is due to the 50/60Hz mismatch,
but it looks pretty good otherwise.

I think there is a bunch of new display related stuff in 0.21 which I
will have to play with when I do the upgrade, so all the above is
relevant to 0.20.

I don't know if your FX5200 has the grunt to drive your TV at native
res, I guess you could try. I think the most effective way of
improving my pic was to run at the panel native res.

HTH
--
Neil Milne