[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.21

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Mon Mar 10 14:00:16 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 09:27 -0400, ryan patterson wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 7:44 AM, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com>
> wrote:
>         On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Nicolas Will
>         <nico at youplala.net> wrote:
>         >  > is there an easy way for
>         >  > someone like me running a stock ubuntu "current" +
>         mythbuntu to get
>         >  > .21?
>         >
>         >  Mythbuntu *is* Ubuntu.
>         >
>         >  It is a set of packages inside the Ubuntu repos, nothing
>         more.
>         >
>         >  Eventually you can add the -fixes mythbuntu repo, or the
>         -trunk repo.
>

>         Thanks for the other comments, very helpful... I may give
>         backports a go.
>
>         However, Mythbuntu is not ubuntu if you're on the -fixes
>         repo.  I have
>         a non-ubuntu source in my sources.list with a non-ubuntu key
>         signing
>         the packages in order to run current mythbuntu.  This is not a
>         complaint, but I still see mythbuntu as something seperate
>         from "base
>         base" ubuntu + myth packages.
>

>   If you wont complain then I will.  I use Ubuntu because I don't want
> to run an unstable, cobbled together OS.  Unfortunately Mythbuntu is
> an unstable cobbled together mess.  It is embarrassing that mythbuntu
> is the official face of MythTV on Ubuntu.

I fail to understand all the fuss.

You want MythTV on Ubuntu? fine, get all the necessary stuff straight
from the Ubuntu repositories, including the Mythbuntu Control Center.
Get an upgrade every 6 months in the worst case, sooner if the new
release is considered for the official Ubuntu backports repository (and
it is).

You want to have the latest and greatest -fixes for the current release?
Fine by me. unfortunately, the Ubuntu release cycle and processes will
not allow frequent updates like that from their repositories. Oh wait!
The Mythbuntu guys are good enough and provide a repository with the
latest -fixes builds, following exactly the same process used for the
official release (using PPA, an official Ubuntu tool, for the in-between
release building). You will get something that you can trust and that
will not break your upgrade cycle with the new official releases when
they come up.

You want the latest and greatest -trunk? Also fine by me. Same remarks
about its availability inside the official repositories. Oh wait! The
Mythbuntu guys are good enough and provide a repository with the latest
-fixes builds, following exactly the same process used for the official
release (using PPA, an official Ubuntu tool, for the in-between release
building). You will get something that you can trust and that will not
break your upgrade cycle with the new official releases when they come
up. When 0.21 was released, we had access to the packages merely hours
later, if not minutes, not just for the next stable release, but also
built for the current stable. And you can still trust that nothing will
break.

I think we are quite lucky to have access to all those choices, all
provided by the same set of people, which creates a seamless integration
between the various choices offered (stable, -fixes and -trunk).

On top of this they do provide an extra level of nice tools like MCC,
the remote control stuff, the dedicated install process and the live CD
frontend. My opinion is that this is quite a value add on top of just
packaging.

Finally, my experience with the Mythbuntu team with regards to support,
debugging and fixing has been quite stellar.

I've been known to be ignorant and wrong, but I can understand good
arguments. My view of the situation is quite positive. Show me the dark
side, please.

Until then, you can safely consider me as a fan-boy.

[insert distro war disclaimer here - I do not judge other distros or
consider Mythbuntu better or worse than X, Y and Z by plain lack of
experience with said X, Y and Z]

Nico / camelreef on #ubuntu-mythtv
just a user
http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc