[mythtv-users] Audio issues with .21 - very quiet washed out sound

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Mar 10 03:38:04 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> says:
> > Problem went away when I switched upmix from 5.1 to 2 channels.
> > Not sure that's desirable - but at least I can hear sound now.
>
> 2 channels is correct for S/PDIF.

That can't be right, as bug #4819 describes. Why would audio be
properly decoded in Passive upmix mode with 5.1, but not with the two
Active modes? Why is there an issue with MPEG-4 files, but not MPEG-2?
Why Xvid, but not Divx?

One of the reasons for the multichannel audio added in #1104 was to
permit timestretched recordings to retain any 5.1 tracks. With the
Active upmix settings, setting Max Audio Channels to Stereo prevents
this feature from working (and, worse, returning to 1.0 time doesn't
return the 5.1 audio).

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array