[mythtv-users] ALSA No Longer Sees Sound Card

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 9 18:15:46 UTC 2008

On 03/09/2008 08:59 AM, Roger Heflin wrote:
> I had to rmmod the capture device before starting X so it would find the correct
> device, I also had to change myth to using /dev/dsp1 (I don't understand why
> /dev/dsp is not there), after that you can put the module for the capture device
> back.
>
> It does appear that the newer alsa are not quite smart enough to figure out that
> a capture device with only inputs should not be the default device,

ALSA doesn't really choose the default device (other than to say that
whatever card has number 0 is the default).  The kernel provides
numbers, so in effect, it chooses the default.

>  and I was
> unable to figure out a way to actually tell alsa what to use as the default
> device, no matter what you do it does not appear to stay set, even once I get it
> working correctly if the next time it finds the capture device, it messes up the
> same way.

However, one can affect the device numbering using udev (the right way),
kernel module options (often the easy way), or just by explicitly
prevent them from automatically loading, then load them in an init
script or something)

> I am using F8, but I had similar problems on F7 when I would start X up with a
> usb camera (with a microphone) already there, it gets found first and used
> instead on the MB audio.

udev has been around for quite some time, now...
http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

Mike