[mythtv-users] Hauppauge in trouble with the FCC

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Mar 9 16:23:48 UTC 2008

On Mar 9, 2008, at 9:56 AM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 09:02:44AM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
>>> The resolution of the actual *camera* is often quite good (by NTSC
>>> standards), especially for black-and-white units.
>>
>> NTSC cameras are such commodity items that they are probably cheaper
>> then units designed for lower resolution, so that makes sense.
>
> And, as I'm sure you know better than most, Brian, NTSC is actually a
> *really* impressive system, when each component is properly tuned.

As I'm sure you know, an NTSC picture coming directly off a good
camera into a high-quality NTSC monitor would knock the socks off most
home viewers. Problem is a good NTSC monitor costs about $7000 or
more, and a "good" camera with a decent lens is well into 6 figures.

The signal suffers a lot form going through a high-power transmitter
(rolled off at about 4.2 Mhz., and we don't want to even talk about
group delay problems) but can still look very good.

Typical consumer setups totally mutilate things, but then again most
consumers were satisfied with VHS quality.

What consumer has ever even heard of an outfit like Ikegami? Years ago
they tried selling computer monitors and failed miserably, mostly
because of a total lack of name recognition with consumers. First time
I saw an Ike computer monitor my reaction was "wow, cool".

But the quality of even a single-chip NTSC camera has always astounded
me.

(He said looking at the RCA 2" Image Orthicon tube on his bookshelf,
now THAT was a camera tube (came out of a TK-14) :-))

beww