[mythtv-users] Dell Small Form Factor computers?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Mar 9 15:28:24 UTC 2008

On Mar 9, 2008, at 9:08 AM, Mark Hutchinson wrote:

> I would buy parts and build yourself.  For 500, you can get standard
> stuff, that is tried and true and not get involved in Dell ( or pay
> for an MS license you wont use )
> Get a:
> Decent case: 50
> 500 Gig drive: 100
> MB w/ built in vid(Nvidia?), Network, Firewire, sound ) $80
> Core2Duo proc: 100
> 1Gig RAM: 50
> Total: 380 ish
> Now, take the 120 left over and modify as needed.  Better Video, more
> Hard Drive, etc....

It depends on how serious he is about "small form factor". The case
and mobo prices you mentioned go out the window if you want something
very small, and 500GB drives are available only in the 3.5" form factor.

The real question, as usual, is do you want the machine to be able to
do HD, a lot of very tiny solutions are available if the answer is no.

beww