[mythtv-users] Dell Small Form Factor computers?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 15:21:28 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Benjamin Peikes <ben at peikes.com> wrote:
> Has anyone used any of the Dell small factor computers?
>  Seems like you can get them on the cheap.
>
>  I'm looking for an off the shelf (minus the video card) solution. Mostly
>  because I don't have the time to shop for all of the pieces and I want to
>  make sure that I can just install MythTV without any problems.
>
>  What I want from MythTV is mostly the ability to play music, run MythGame
>  and play DVDs and play videos and images which I've taken. The recording
>  side is nice, but not necessary.
>
>  Was hoping to buy/build something for under $500.

My frontend is a used 4700C 3.0Mhz that I got on ebay for a little
over $300 if I remember correctly.  I bought a fanless nVidia low
profile card and replaced the standard sized bracket with one of the
small form factor brackets made by XFS.

I've been really happy with it.  It plays my OTA HD recordings just
great.  I find it to be plenty quiet enough for my situation.

Also note, I never upgraded the 512MB or ram it came with and that's
been plenty using it as a dedicated frontend.

Tom