[mythtv-users] Live TV with multiple tuners

William Munson w.munson at comcast.net
Sat Mar 8 18:03:44 UTC 2008

Justin wrote:
> When changing channels in large tv using channel up and channel down it
> will only cycle through channels that exist on the current tuner.  Is
> there a way to make it cycle through channels that exist on all tuners?
> This is an issue when I have multiple sources with different channels
> and i'd like to be able to surf on live tv and see what is on without
> worrying about which tuner i'm on.
>
> Thanks

My solution was to take the tuner which can receive the greatest number
of channels and by using priorities make it the tuner that gets used for
live tv. This way I will always use the tuner that gets all channels
unless its busy recording in which case it defaults to one of the analog
tuners.

What I did was to set the digital tuner to a higher priority than the
analog ones and then on the digital tuner I also set the HD channels to
a higher priority than the SD channels. This insures that the digital
tuner gets used 1st and if the program is available in HD then that
channel is used otherwise its recorded in SD.

Good luck,
William