[mythtv-users] deinterlacing

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 03:14:46 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 6:25 PM, Kevin Bailey
<ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 02:56:10PM -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:
>  >
>  >    Rule of thumb: If it's an ordinary, standard-definition TV, it's
>  >    interlaced.  Otherwise, it's almost certainly progressive.  There are
>  >    exceptions but if you have a piece of equipment that doesn't fit this
>  >    rule, you probably already know it. :)
>
>  Here's something I never really understood: I'm running
>  myth into a TV over S-video, and some channels had a
>  "comb" effect on moving objects until I turned on
>  de-interlacing. If a TV is interlaced, I'm confused
>  why this setting was necessary. I have the suspicion
>  that something else is going on, as though in
>  translating from 1080i or whatever to 480i, something
>  gets changed. Or is there an obvious explanation for
>  this ?

Generally, your computer's display will be Progressive (640x480p).
However, the video card will be (At the output stage) converting that
progressive image to an interlaced picture.

Unless the video card has specifically stated it has detected a TV and
is outputting to it (Which will mean 640x480i), Then the problem could
be that the interlaced fields in the recorded signal are not in sync
with the interlaced fields being output, which could (would)
exacerbate the situation.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston