[mythtv-users] Occasional zero length file from a scheduled recording?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Fri Mar 7 23:09:12 UTC 2008

On Friday 07 March 2008 04:30:56 barbex wrote:
> >  Has anyone else had this happen?  I'm can't imagine how this can occur
> >  and show no errors or any sign that the backend is even aware
> >  anythings wrong.  It's as though it's mysteriously writing into
> >  nowhere or something.
>
> Exactly. Have that too occasionally, never found out why. The
> recording is in the database but the file does not created. Weird.

Sorry I missed the original post. I've seen something like this on my system
occasionally, but only with a Hauppauge PVR-USB2, and usually (only?) when
the system is under load because of a transcode operation underway or some
other process. I suspect a driver bug and/or motherboard issues (I've got a
motherboard with a VIA chipset; I read the warnings about them too late).
Once the system has produced a 0-length recording, the video device always
records 0-length files; I've got to manually unload and re-load the driver.
There are no obvious error messages in the system logs or the kernel ring
buffer.

--
Rod Smith