[mythtv-users] Hauppauge in trouble with the FCC

Craig G. craig at goranson.org
Fri Mar 7 22:14:03 UTC 2008

Its not just a labeling issue, the FCC also has some nice language in there to potentially fine anyone who manufactures for sale in the U.S. a "TV Receiver" which doesn't include a digital tuner.

"By Law, as of March 1, 2007, all television receivers shipped in interstate commerce or imported into the United States must contain a digital tuner."

Which is fairly short cited, as they don't seem to really define what a "television receiver" is.   I assume it was aimed at set top boxes and televisions, but the fact that it keeps someone from manufacturing a product for a specific market (such as analog cable tv use) without putting a ATSC tuner in it.