[mythtv-users] deinterlacing

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Mar 7 22:03:22 UTC 2008

On Mar 7, 2008, at 1:53 PM, Matt S. wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Brad DerManouelian
> <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 7, 2008, at 12:36 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
>>

>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Deinterlacing says:
>>>
>>> "Deinterlacing is the process of converting traditional Interlaced
>>> Video
>>>  into a Progressive Picture that can be displayed on modern non
>>> interlaced
>>>  display devices such as LCD or Plasma screens."
>>>
>>> but the Myth Frontend General Playback setup gives the hint
>>>
>>> "Make the video look normal on a progressive display (i.e.,
>>> monitor)"
>>>
>>> My monitor is a CRT - is deinterlacing still required?
>>
>> Yes. Your CRT is also a progressive display.
>
> Correction... Your CRT is _probably_ an "interlaced" display.  It is
> probably not "progressive", although they do exist.

Correction... your CRT is 99% likely a *progressive* display.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_scan
"Progressive scan (also known as: P-Scan) is used for most cathode ray
tube (CRT) computer monitors, all LCD computer monitors, and most
HDTVs as the display resolutions are progressive by nature."

I can't remember the last time I used an interlaced computer display.
Maybe my Apple //c from 1985. I hope his CRT isn't that old.